September 19, 2013 by pchswildcats
The application for the annual Senate Youth Program is now available. Two high school students (juniors or seniors) are selected as delegates to represent Tennessee in Washington, D.C. for Washington Week March 8-15, 2014.
Selection is based on the student’s outstanding abilities and demonstrated qualities of leadership. Qualifications include:
- Currently serving in at least one elected or appointed position
- Permanent resident of the United States and currently enrolled in a public or private secondary school
- High scholastic standing
- Community and public service involvement
- Knowledge of the structure of U.S. government and important laws and policies
- Awareness of current political events
Each selected delegate receives:
- an expenses-paid week in Washington, D.C., meeting and interacting with their respective senators, as well as cabinet members and other federal officials March 8-15, 2014
- a $5,000 college scholarship for undergraduate studies
The application and additional information is now available at http://tn.gov/education/ci/senate_youth/. In addition to the application, each applicant is required to complete a test that can be requested and administered by a school administrator or counselor. The deadline for the completed application and scored test is Oct. 15, 2013.
The winner from each congressional district will be invited to an interview to be held in Nashville on Nov. 15. For additional information or to request a test for the application, please contact TNCore.Questions@tn.gov .